Sunday, May 15, 2011

5/11/11 queso empanada.

Today was the first of our company visits. The first we visited was Bosques de Mauco, which was a mushroom farm. In my life, I have never seen anything like it. The smell was horrendous, and because I don’t like mushrooms, it never got better for me. The most fascinating part of the whole thing was the packaging and canning. Also they were extremely selective about the mushrooms they chose to use for things even such as canning. The products they use are only the best. After the mushrooms, we went to Centauro. Centauro is a canning company owned for three generations. Our tour was given by an actual decendant of the family who founded it, and he was clearly extremely passionate about his company. It was so adorable how he kept referring to his great grandfather and how they only use the best machinery. He gaves us a few samples, which I hope make it back into the states, considering they need refrigerated after opening and that just isn’t at our disposal. After our company visit, we went to Las Deliciosas. They serve empanadas with a million different types of seafood and cheese. As far as meal empanadas go, theirs were defintely delicious. They are receiving a close competition from the carmel and banana empanada as far as I’m concerned though. We then finished our Chilean culture lectures. The thing that sticks out most to me in retrospect was learning about the earthquakes. I admire the Chilean mindset that it happens, it will happen again, however they love this country and have no plans to leave. We then had a dance class and I honestly feel like my salsa dancing is improving. One of the students took us to her apartment at night, and it was SO nice. The view was absolutely breathtaking and it was just all around a really fun evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment